How do we know about Israel’s nuclear program?
American U-2 spy planes in 1958 confirmed the existence of Israel's Dimona nuclear complex, located in the Negev desert. U.S. inspections of Israeli nuclear sites in the 1960s proved largely fruitless because of restrictions placed on the inspectors. Instead, much of what the outside world knows about Israel's nuclear capabilities came from Mordechai Vanunu, a nuclear technician who worked at Dimona and leaked details of the program to the British press in 1986. For his actions, he was sentenced for treason and espionage and spent eighteen years behind bars in Israel, eleven of them in solitary confinement.
Do you think that there is a possibility of a Nuclear attack from the terrorist in the Middle East? How likely is it that Israel will give up their nuclear bombs? Why do you think they were keeping quiet about the fact that they had nuclear bombs? What do you think they gain from having nuclear bombs other then for protection?
http://www.cfr.org/publication/9822/israels_nuclear_program_and_middle_east_peace.html
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, with other countries attacking/trying to take over Israel, it makes sense that they would want some leverage to negotiate and defend themselves with.
ReplyDeleteThe possibility of a nuclear attack on Israel grows daily as Iran develops its nuclear capabilties. Consequently, Israel will never give up its nuclear weaponry so long as such a threat remains. By Israel keeping their weapons, Iran must surely realize that if they were to launch missiles toward Israel that they would also face a nuclear annihilation.
ReplyDeleteI think there is a possibility of a nuclear attack in the middle east, but not a probability. No country could withstand a nuclear retaliation, so they would use it as a last resort. I think that Israel is not likely at all to give up its nuclear weaponry, considering that all of its neighbor countries are its enemies. I think they gain a level of intimidation in the middle east by having them, because many countries have already boasted that they want to wipe Israel off the face of the earth.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think there is a definite possibility of a nuclear attack, however since many countries have nuclear weapons once a war gets started the whole world would be destroyed in the end, and no one would be the winners. So I think what is more likely is they will remain as a threat that is not actually carried out.
ReplyDeleteI think that there is a capibility of a nuclear attack but I don't think there is a probibility of a nuclear attack. Using a nuclear attack is asking for retaliation and any country in the middle east wouldn't be able to handle the side affects of that. I think once there is a nuclear attack in the middle east it is going to start a chain reaction and then we will all really find out who had nuclear weapons and who doesn't.
ReplyDeleteThe US has very large control over what Israel does politically. Seeing as Iran is also the US enemy, I wouldn't be surprised if we controlled what happened with the bombs. I believe this because I know we give a lot of money to Israel, and I also believe that bombing Iran would not prove beneficial to Israel. I would not be surprised, however, if other countries were to retaliate against Israel. But that would be an indirect attack against the US. This is very complicated.
ReplyDeleteI think we should expect a nuclear attack from terrorist in the middle east. They are making, and they have made nuclear weapons and have made it clear that they don't intend to stop making them. Israel will not give up their bombs, without a doubt they won't, and i just think it's sad that the name Israel is supposed to be associated with Jesus, (good things) but is now associated with nuclear weapons, bombs, and terrorists, (bad things!)
ReplyDeleteI don't think that it's very possible that there will be a nuclear attack in the middle east. I'm sure that all nations with nuclear weapons know that if they shoot one at one nation, the retaliation will be so harsh that their doing so was futile (basically, they'll be destroyed).
ReplyDeleteI don't think that Israel will be giving up their bombs anytime soon, for they will probably want to feel 100% percent safe in their position before they do. And, in all reality, i sincerely doubt that they will ever actually feel fully comfortable in their position.
If the Arabs don't get us, the aliens will. Just sayin.
ReplyDelete