This is a youtube clip of different music from different countries in the Middle East. Watch and comment on what you think. If you were to go to any of these countries would you listen to this music or bring your own music over? Which countries music do you like the most?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X947C_ylpjs&feature=related
Friday, May 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The music from Algeria reminded me of old '70s music. Are these traditional songs or considered modern music in these countries? Georgia's music was my favorite, it reminded me of some Spanish music we listen to in Spansih class.
ReplyDeleteIn general, they have retained a balance between rhythm, melody,....some harmony. In America we have lost this. They are however stuck in minor keys. Their voicing is nasal and mainly chants. Having been to many "gatherings" in Qatar while there with USCENTCOM, we were rather struck by the amazing belly dancing...which made it difficult to concentrate on "policy". Current American music is now dominated by the rhythm, or beat, total dominance. Next to the rhythm is the incredible emotional intent, in some cases, hatred, of some issue or subject. We have lost our sense of balance in music. We no longer have an expression of pure joy, pleasure, or peace; just noise, cacophony. I don't know what it will take to recover that balance. It would be wonderful to hear harmony again. Four-part, three-part, even just two-part harmony, not crushed by the beat, but supported by the beat. Though nasal in voicing, we can learn balance from middle eastern music. But I'm not belly dancing. Not me.
ReplyDeleteI think that this music Middle Eastern music in general is very annoying to me; it gives me a headache. But I do understand that this is the style of music that Middle Easterners listen to and like it very much. But I'd much prefer this music over todays modern rock. This Middle Eastern music seems to have more rhythm and also more skill to it than Modern rock and I respect that. If I would go to any of these countries then I would definatly bring along some Classic rock music because I love Classic rock. I like the Kurdistan music the most but again, I really dont like any of them.
ReplyDeleteI found I liked the music from Greece and Jordan, though I felt the music of Saudi Arabia made me feel like I had to conform. Other than that I found most of the music to be absolutley boring. It's like jazz, in real life it's interesting, but if it's on a radio or CD then it's boring. I would definitley bring my own music. I would just have to try to find a plug first. :P
ReplyDeleteI am not a huge fan of Middle Eastern music but it is definitely interesting. If I were to go over I think i would bring my own music, because i am more accustomed and more entertained by my American music. However I would definitely listen to the Middle Eastern music and enjoy going out of my comfort zone. I especially enjoyed the Jordanian music.
ReplyDeleteWhile this is definitely not music I would listen to on my own very often, I actually kinda like the beat and rhythm of it, it just has a cool exotic sound. :)
ReplyDeleteIf i was shopping for music middle eastern music would definately not be on the top of my list. It isn't something i generally would shoose to listen to however i do think it is kind of interesting. It also is oddly enough pretty. The ways they use their instraments and voices differently than us here in a america is a cool way to think outside the box.
ReplyDeleteI would probably bring my own music over, middle eastern music isn't the type of music i would typically listen too. Maybe in a dance class i might listen to it to learn different way to dance and different types of dances, but other than that, that music won't be on my playlist.
ReplyDeleteI actually really enjoy the middle eastern music! Perhaps it's just my like of ethnic noise, but the rhythms and variation in instruments was interesting. I think that Greece and Algeria were probably my favorite.
ReplyDeleteThis is all amazing.
ReplyDelete