Wednesday, May 19, 2010

State Sponsored Terrorism

What terrorist groups are linked to Iran?
U.S. officials say Iran mostly backs Islamist groups, including the Lebanese Shiite militants of Hezbollah (which Iran helped found in the 1980s) and such Palestinian terrorist groups as Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad. A few months after Hamas won the Palestinian Authority (PA) elections in early 2006, Iran pledged $50 million to the near-bankrupt PA. The United States, among other nations, has cut off aid to the PA because of Hamas’ terrorist ties.

Why do you think Iran has resorted to state sponsored terrorism? Why do we not do anything to stop them? How much of this has to do you think has to do with Israel?

http://www.cfr.org/publication/9362/

7 comments:

  1. I see why Iran is sponsoring terrorism if their president doesn't like the USA or Israel, very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure whose tactics you are referring to in your question -- the U.S. tactic of cutting off aid, or Iran's tactic of supporting Hamas as head of the PA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised that Iran supports terrorism. They're not the only ones helping the Palestinains. In my point of view, most of the middle east hates Isreal. There must be a reason we are not doing anything. Maybe because we don't want to start a war or endanger Isreal, or it would complicate things even more. I believe it has everything to do with Isreal and the US is the one protecting them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In your question you stated that there is a chance Iran has resorted to state sponsered terrorism and ask why we haven't done anything to stop them and I think that is the whole reason that the war we're currently still fighting started. The terrorists attacks on 9/11 sparked major interest in the middle east and I believe the main reason we first started fighting over there was agaisnt "terror".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think they have resorted to state sponsored terrorism because they have no one else that will sponsor them. We don't (and shouldn't) do anything to stop them because its not our problem, until they are on they're way over here we shouldn't do anything. We don't want to be the ones to throw the first punch, we want to block it and then kick ass :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that Iran is involved in state sponsered terrorism, because it allows them to have a directly disasterous and deadly influence on happenings in and around Israel while being hundreds of miles away and being able to declare that they're not actually responsible for the event.

    ReplyDelete